Friday, February 11, 2011

Negotiating Audiences: A Reflection on Composing (E)Compose


When I think of the blog as a genre, I can’t help but think of audience. The blog is public in incredibly unique ways. It is accessible to an astounding number of people; yet, in most cases, only accessed by a select few with prior knowledge of its existence and a specific motivation.


As I look back at the writing I’ve “published” on this blog so far, I can’t help but notice a significant shift in tone. I’m interested in examining this shift in terms of audience for two reasons. First, I want to speculate about the specific ways the blog genre changes writers’ conceptions of audience, and ultimately their writing. Secondly, I want to attempt to answer this question: Are these new conceptions of audience that blogs make available beneficial to the composition student?


My first full post to the blog “What Makes Media ‘New Media’: Materiality, Agency, and the Composition Pedagogue” can be characterized in two ways: first, I don’t reference the fact that the post is a course assignment. Second, the writing itself is formal in tone and avoids the first-person.


Despite the growing ubiquity of new forms of communication and media (foursquare, googletv, diaspora) and the monolithic status of those that have become household names, much of academia remains unaware or indifferent to the significant connection between English /Composition studies and these new forms.


The impulse to create and maintain a detached and formal tone originates from my conceptions of audience. Because the blog is hosted on an open and available platform, I conceived of the assignment not only in terms of the course, but in terms of other possible audiences. Maintaining the blog in the future, and using a generalized language intended to reach a wider audience, I imagined, might result in a product that could be referenced in other rhetorical contexts. If nothing else, the blog could be an added line in my C.V., especially if tied to other publication or scholarly activity.


This conception of audience influenced my writing enormously. I could not let myself assume, for example, that my readers had any prior knowledge of the texts I discuss. Any such text must be introduced and summarized before an in-depth analysis.


Yet this conception of audience was debilitating in a way as well. By acknowledging alternate audiences and purposes beyond the immediate rhetorical context of the course, I was also limiting the depth of engagement with the text and interaction with other members of the class. Extended summary and introduction of these texts was not necessary in this localized context—my classmates had read these texts.


The public nature of the blog oriented my conception of audience towards an awareness of content as well. What do I mean by this? Another specific audience of the blog are the authors of the texts I discuss. While it is unlikely that many of the authors I discuss will access these discussions, the act of “self-googling” makes this a distinct possibility, a possibility that I am acutely aware of when critiquing another’s scholarship. I’ve actually had the experience of an author I’m writing about in a blog read and comment on a post, which makes this possibility even more tangible. Poet Jared Carter responds to my discussion of his poem “Dark Transit” as an opportunity to connect with his audience (and promote his work):


Jared Carter said...

Thank you so much for noticing my poem, "Dark Transit." You're from Maysville, Kentucky? It's a beautiful place, and one of my favorite towns. I've whiled away many a pleasant hour in the Old Mill Tavern. I think the Simon Kenton Bridge is a noble structure. Years ago I wrote about it in a long poem entitled "Maysville. Kenton Bridge. Dusk" (not online). It appeared in the anthology Down the River, compiled by Dallas Wiebe and published in Cincinnati in 1991. As for "Dark Transit," I'm indebted to Valparaiso Review for including the poem among its Pushcart Prize nominations for 2009. If you have a moment, please stop by and visit my web site at http://www.jaredcarter.com
Thanks!


On (E)Compose, this awareness was most present when I critiqued a webtext by Cheryl Ball and Ryan Moelle in my post “Practicing New Media Analysis”:


While Ball and Moeller further demonstrate how these terms might be applied by analyzing and discussing two student compositions, they don't apply their terms to a new media text that we might consider professional or expert. Their own "webtext," in fact, accomplishes very few of the topoi or commonplaces a new media text might employ and could be almost as effective as a "letterate" text.


The “shift” I mentioned above is most apparent in my more recent posts. Where my original writing was formal and intent on summary, my later writing is subdued in these regards. I’m still attempting to frame my discussions in ways that can be applied to a variety of audiences, but I’m also positioning myself as an individual member of the course. More frequent use of the first-person, along with a less formal tone, as can be seen below, bears testimony to this shift:


I've been trying to determine what it is that sets Dickie Self's study "Techno-Pedagogical Explorations: Towards Sustainable Technology-Rich Instruction" apart from a large majority of the work done on the intersections between technology and composition. I think I've hit on it: while other scholars expend considerable energy explaining WHY composition instructors should consider implementing more technology in their classrooms and assignments, and offering example assignments as a second-thought, Selfe begins his study by acknowledging his audience has already accepted this pedagogical need.


This passage also demonstrates how I am more comfortable with positioning myself as a fellow learner in a community of learners, rather than as someone who is sharing expertise on a subject. “I’ve been trying to determine,” I write in the first sentence ; “trying” is key here.


Ultimately, my experience with the blog genre and with (E)Compose has been most characterized by my attempts to balance a specific, local persona with a public persona, a result of my awareness of the various audiences the blog genre affords. Such balancing changes writing in significant ways, as I’ve tried to demonstrate above, but is it an act beneficial to the composition student? At this point, I believe it is. Student negotiation with the fluctuating audience that online publication affords is constructive if only because it allows those students to imagine audiences beyond the local, beyond their classmates and instructor. If this imagining results in a little anxiety over who is reading (or not reading) their work and how it is being assessed on an open, public platform, even better. A little anxiety can go a long way; it allows students to walk the thin line between public and local persona, and to practice the performance of each.

No comments:

Post a Comment